[Wikimedia-l] What community initiatives have made an impact on editor engagement?

Tilman Bayer tbayer at wikimedia.org
Wed Jun 26 02:29:52 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 7:07 PM, Asaf Bartov <abartov at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Briefly, from the train (so no links):
>
> 1. The Wikipedia Challenge competitions were not community initiatives;
> they were Google initiatives.
>
> 2. Agree with Nemo about tools' importance.
>
> 3. I'd call out the Tamil Wikipedia Media Contest: great return on very
> modest investment (of funds); and the Malayalam WikiSangaMotsavam, a series
> of community and outreach events around a big community gathering, that
> correlates with a noticeable rise in active editors in MLWP.  Both are
> community initiatives supported by WMF grants.
I'm currently not on a train, so here are two links:
https://blog.wikimedia.org/2012/04/20/postcard-from-the-tamil-community/
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:WikiSangamotsavam_2012/Malayalam_Wiki_Conference_2012/Report

>    A.
> On Jun 25, 2013 11:05 AM, "Steven Walling" <steven.walling at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 12:47 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo)
>> <nemowiki at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>> > 1) I'm confused: first you ask about community initiatives then you list
>> > activities by chapters and the like. "Community initiative" makes me
>> think
>> > of edit drives, custom tools and scripts, processes, guidelines,
>> > configurations.
>> >

>> Sorry for the confusion. I'm open to hearing about any non-WMF activity,
>> but I assumed that people would be most knowledgeable
>> about initiatives that came from chapters or other parts of the community.
>>

>> > 2) Are you interested in last year or all our history?
>> >

>> Let's say since about 2011, with more recent being of primary interest.
>>

>> >  3) Is it really impossible to look for the impact on the statistics
>> > (assuming you're speaking of eiting activity) and then ask what caused
>> the
>> > impact? How much big but indetected/undetectable impact is there? (There
>> > must be contrasting forces for that.) Are you interested in impact that
>> > can't be even seen in statistics?
>> >

>> We're also looking at which projects are growing, so as you say, looking at
>> the stats and then asking what caused it. If you are aware of a editor
>> recruitment or retention activity that measured, I'd also be interested in
>> hearing about that, even if it didn't necessarily make some kind of visible
>>  jump in the total active editors of a project.
>>
>> Steven
>>
>> P.S. Thanks to the folks who reached out off-list with examples.

Tilman Bayer
Senior Operations Analyst (Movement Communications)
Wikimedia Foundation
IRC (Freenode): HaeB