[Wikimedia-l] PRISM

James Salsman jsalsman at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 08:40:07 UTC 2013

Federico Leva wrote:
> WMF will log the same (partial) data, but for 100 % of visits rather than 1/1000.

How much more will that cause the Foundation to spend on processing
subpoenas from law enforcement agencies? Will those agencies be
charged for the time and organizational overhead of their requests?
Will they be charged for the chilling effects on readers?

How can we measure the cost of chilling effects on readers for 100% logging?

I think this is a terrible idea. It's a huge step backwards to go from
statistical sampling to logging all accesses. Exactly as far backwards
as transitioning to A/B testing to multivariate analysis of
fundraising messaging would be a step forwards. People say that
donors' funds should be spent efficiently. When is the Foundation
actually going to do so on both of these subjects?

"increasing surveillance ... does not decrease ... criminal
activities. Ironically, ... increased surveillance might ... increase
the number of inmates"
-- http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42937.pdf