[Wikimedia-l] About the concentration of resources in SF (it was: "Communication plans for community engagement"

Marc A. Pelletier marc at uberbox.org
Mon Jul 29 03:53:11 UTC 2013

On 07/28/2013 11:46 PM, John Vandenberg wrote:
> So chapters can offer to help porting tools like this to Labs and
> ongoing maintenance of these tools?
> Is there a list of such tools that have been identified as needing paid support?

It's probably worth nothing that WMDE has, in fact, already earmarked
staff (and a budget) to do the migration aspect of this.  Silke Meyer (I
think) heads that effort.

On the other hand, there are a number of tools on which projects rely
that -- even if they do not need help migrating at this moment -- could
benefit from continued support.  Perhaps the current efforts by the WMDE
staff can be used as a model for how chapters can contribute on the
engineering aspects of the projects?  I'm sure they are gathering a
great deal of experience in how to do this thanks to the migration
efforts and the ongoing work on Wikidata.

-- Marc