[Wikimedia-l] Feedback for the Wikimedia Foundation

Jane Darnell jane023 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 07:45:21 UTC 2013

I have tried and failed to use the Visual Editor several times in the
past few weeks, and as with all new technologies, I consider myself a
"follower" rather than a "leader",  so I was very interested to look
up the Dutch feedback that Romaine was reporting. One of the comments
was that it was impossible to create a simple blue link with the VE,
since the VE throws <nowiki> around any attempt to do this. Since that
is one of the most basic parts of wikimarkup that anyone will use, I
decided to investigate, since that was my problem too.

I am happy to report that I just discovered what the problem is. I had
turned off the "Show edit toolbar" option in my preferences (probably
over a year ago), so I wasn't seeing the top part of the VE edit
toolbar, which includes the hyperlink icon, among other things. I was
only seeing the other, second, line of the VE toolbar icons for
including media, reference, references list, and transclusion.

I expect that many other experienced Wikipedians have the same
problem. This should help solve a lot of the "ghost edits".