[Wikimedia-l] About the concentration of resources in SF (it was: "Communication plans for community engagement"

Matthew Roth mroth at wikimedia.org
Wed Jul 24 19:15:22 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:38 AM, David Cuenca <dacuetu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Erik, if the WMF is supposed to be a global organization there is no need
> to concentrate all (physical) resources in SF, unless the WMF is acting as
> the US chapter, then it could be understood that it has to restrict its
> geographic presence. As I see it, for example there is no impedement to
> have a WMF Asia in any chosen country of that region with an engineering
> department dependent on the WMF.
>
> I would like to hear from the legal team what are the challenges of having
> a distributed presence. It is not a new problem, many international
> organizations and companies have gone through the process, so there should
> be no need to invent new solutions.

I'm not a lawyer, so I won't pretend to speak expertly to the legal
situations, but in my time on the Communications team I've seen several
concrete examples of where it's very valuable to be far from a conflict
physically and situated in the U.S. There's the disputed Kashmir maps in
India issue (Google and other outfits with offices in those countries have
given in to demands<http://www.businessinsider.com/most-controversial-places-on-google-maps-2013-5?op=1>from
local authorities to alter maps in a number of cases). What kind of
pressure would we get for this file if we had offices in India?
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:India_disputed_areas_map.svg

The most recent example was with the DCRI in France. Had we had offices in
France, I'm not sure the outcome would have been the same; I imagine our
leverage would have been compromised.

Of course, there are significant challenges with U.S. laws around
copyright, so it's not a panacea, certainly. But I do think it's a very
complicated issue.