[Wikimedia-l] About the concentration of resources in SF (it was: "Communication plans for community engagement"

Richard Symonds richard.symonds at wikimedia.org.uk
Wed Jul 24 15:44:01 UTC 2013

> *We are a global movement with global projects and global goals.*

Indeed we are! But allow me to play devil's advocate here:

   - How would you run HR meetings? Is it feasible to use videoconferencing?
   - What are the additional costs involved with this approach? Are there
   local taxes that would need administrating and paying? Would you need a HR
   team who can handle
   - Does it increase the WMF's liability if they have a permanent staff
   presence in another country (eg., EU data protection laws, or UK libel
   laws)?
   - What are the insurance implications of staff remote-working from (say)
   Ghana or India?
   - If employees from one country are entitled to certain privileges by
   law - eg paid paternity leave, or minimum break times - does that
   automatically get extended to others around the world? If not, will it
   create resentment between people who do the same job in different countries?

I'm not offering an opinion on this either way, but these are important
things to consider if there is going to be a change.

Richard Symonds
Wikimedia UK
0207 065 0992