[Wikimedia-l] Feedback for the Wikimedia Foundation

David Cuenca dacuetu at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 02:39:40 UTC 2013

Thanks, James, for the flexibility that you are showing here. I think the
Visual Editor is already great and it will become even better after
polishing it.I am committed to test it as much as I can and to send some
proposals.
That haters can disable it completely will leave more room for constructive
feedback and peace of mind :)

Thanks,
Micru

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 9:56 PM, James Forrester
<jforrester at wikimedia.org>wrote:

> On 23 July 2013 00:01, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
> > As I've noted in my response to wikitech-l just now, there's also the
> > issue of what "opt-out" should mean as VE becomes increasingly more
> > pervasive in the user experience.
> >
> > But as I've noted in [1], I do not think a compromise on the
> > preference question is necessarily out of reach. I've asked James and
> > team to deliberate on some of the possibilities here, and offered the
> > same suggestion I noted in [1].
> >

> [As just posted to wikitech-l]
>
> Because I understand the level of concern that this matter is causing, I am
> changing my mind on this. For the duration of VisualEditor's "beta" period,
> there will be an opt-out user preference. This will be deployed tomorrow
> morning, San Francisco time. Once VisualEditor is out of 'beta', this
> preference will be removed.
>
> As others have explained better than I, we think that users will be
> ill-served by this opt-out, and I hope that as few users as possible will
> choose this way to degrade their experience and deprive the community of
> their input. Instead of endlessly arguing the point about this, I'd rather
> my team and I spending our time working to make our sites better.
>
> Yours,
> --
> James D. Forrester
> Product Manager, VisualEditor