[Wikimedia-l] Feedback for the Wikimedia Foundation

James Forrester jforrester at wikimedia.org
Wed Jul 24 01:56:16 UTC 2013

On 23 July 2013 00:01, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> As I've noted in my response to wikitech-l just now, there's also the
> issue of what "opt-out" should mean as VE becomes increasingly more
> pervasive in the user experience.
>
> But as I've noted in [1], I do not think a compromise on the
> preference question is necessarily out of reach. I've asked James and
> team to deliberate on some of the possibilities here, and offered the
> same suggestion I noted in [1].

​[As just posted to wikitech-l]​

Because I understand the level of concern that this matter is causing, I am
changing my mind on this. For the duration of VisualEditor's "beta" period,
there will be an opt-out user preference. This will be deployed tomorrow
morning, San Francisco time. Once VisualEditor is out of 'beta', this
preference will be removed.

As others have explained better than I, we think that users will be
ill-served by this opt-out, and I hope that as few users as possible will
choose this way to degrade their experience and deprive the community of
their input. Instead of endlessly arguing the point about this, I'd rather
my team and I spending our time working to make our sites better.

​Yours,
--
James D. Forrester
Product Manager, VisualEditor