[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: change in article edits after visual editor roll-out (was Re: Feedback for the Wikimedia Foundation)

James Salsman jsalsman at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 06:35:59 UTC 2013

Oliver Keyes wrote:

> "active editors" == "editors with > [5/10/depending on standard] edits a
> month". It's pretty impossible, at our end, for us to identify one person
> between multiple IPs or one person between multiple IPs.

Why can't you use behavioral and expertise characteristics to measure
the proportion of anonymous IP editors who edit with the same
distinguishing attributed and skill as active long term editors, as
below, in order to estimate their active proportion? The assertion
that you can't is like saying you can't count black swans unless you
can get their feathers in a centrifuge to check the pigment chemically
simply because it's dark at nighttime.

I hope that this question will not go unanswered, but my experience
(being told that explaining multivariate analysis during Office Hours
is inappropriate because executives can't possibly be expected to
understand it) is not encouraging.