[Wikimedia-l] The GAC wants you!

Asaf Bartov abartov at wikimedia.org
Tue Jul 16 02:25:50 UTC 2013

Hi, Rupert.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!  I'm not quite sure I follow your
thinking though.  With that in mind, I'll offer some statements from my
perspective:

1. I don't think we expect anyone to be perfect.  _We_ certainly aren't
perfect...
2. I don't think we incentivize complete spending of grant budgets.
 Underspending is not only acceptable, but often congratulated -- look at
our responses on reports with underspending, and you'll find we often
congratulate grantees on frugality and economizing.
3. Spending does not have to be precise; we allow a 20% variance in smaller
grants, or a 10% variance in larger grants.  That should be enough for a
reasonably-planned grant.
4. "The best-laid plans of mice and men"[1] often go wrong, we recognize.
 That is why grantees can submit a request to change the budget _during_
the grant's execution.  Take a look at a funded grant, e.g. [2], and you'll
see a handy button called "Request changes to budget".  We generally
approve these requests, because they're generally reasonable.
5. The best advice I can give grantees, present and future, is: talk to us!
 Share your doubts, fears, and uncertainties with us -- we're here to help,
and, like you, we want to promote the Wikimedia Mission.  We don't like
paperwork any more than you do! :)  In my observation, the most unhappy
grantees were those who did not seek advice or help, or did not communicate
about difficulties or unexpected events in real time.

Finally, I appreciate your honesty in saying you don't feel you'd be
willing to put in the amount of work the GAC requires.  That's certainly
better than signing up and not doing anything! :)

Cheers,

   Asaf

[1] Robert Burns, "To a Mouse"
[2]