[Wikimedia-l] Russian Wikipedia in trouble /yet/ again

Tomasz W. Kozlowski tomasz at twkozlowski.net
Wed Jul 10 18:45:12 UTC 2013

Hi again,
so I spent some time looking into the problem and wrote a short summary
at http://twkozlowski.net/russian-wikipedia-under-threat-again/
(<shameless promotion mode="off" />) -- if anyone cares about what's
happening outside of the US, that is.

As described in the summary, there are plans for a massive strike on the
Russian Internet (Runet) on August 1, with the bill being described as
the Russian equivalent of SOPA. It also looks to me like there is some
public opposition against the bill (a petition to the President of
Russia already has over 130,000 signatures with just 100,000 being
required), so the situation is developing quite interestingly.

	-- Tomasz