[Wikimedia-l] What community initiatives have made an impact on editor engagement?

Oona Castro ocastro at wikimedia.org
Sun Jul 7 00:39:50 UTC 2013

That's been a very complex issue. Henrique will bring more context into
here.

For now, it's worth mentioning the Portuguese Wikipedia community has been
working on this antivandalism project
http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip%C3%A9dia_Discuss%C3%A3o:Projetos/AntiVandalismoin
order to build alternative measures to deal with vandalism and
inappropriate edits with a very small portion of the community reverting
edits - considering the short and mid terms.

They are already aware that even the return of emergency CAPTCHA won't be a
definite measure (lasting no more than one year, as per what was agreed)
and are handling to create other ways of preventing inappropriate content
through new approaches.

I actually believe that's a good idea and am happy to see there has been a
lot of work on that - out of comfort zone, but also conscious of the
current limitations in place.

Oona