[Wikimedia-l] Licencing question

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 18:28:53 UTC 2013

On 22 January 2013 16:51, Richard Symonds
<richard.symonds at wikimedia.org.uk> wrote:
> It appears that opinion is divided on whether a hyperlink is acceptable as
> attribution, therefore I'm asking the experts:
>
>    - Does anyone have any input on this?
>    - Has this discussion been had before, if so, where?
>    - Should Wikipedia, Commons and the various Wikimedia sites use the full
>    byline, or are we OK just using a hyperlink?

If we need to have bylines for images, surely we need them for text as well?

It's been discussed hundreds of times before, as you can imagine. I'm
not aware of any particular conclusions being reached, other than
no-one caring enough to get the status quo changed.

The issue of us taking freely licenced content from other sources is
potentially more of an issue. When you submit something, you agree to
be attributed through a link to the Wikipedia article, but when you
import something the author has made no such agreement.