[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Wikimedia ED Sue Gardner named to Global Voices Board of Directors (MZMcBride)

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 19:34:33 UTC 2013

On Jan 17, 2013 7:11 PM, "James Salsman" <jsalsman at gmail.com> wrote:

> So I trust this bodes well for the (originally 2008) proposal to fund
> Wikinews reporters which has surfaced from the community in various
> forms through the years -- e.g.
> http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposal:Reporter_Reimbursement_Program
> -- but has never received the merest hint of support from the
> Foundation.
>
> Now that will certainly change. Right?

I don't see why you would assume that... So Sue supports Global Voices, why
would that mean the foundation will now fund travel for Wikinewsies?

That said, there are lots of chapter microgrants programs and now a
foundation individual grants program that could be used for this sort of
thing. I thought they point of citizen journalism was to make use of people
that are already there, though...