[Wikimedia-l] 15% off merchandise today at the Wikimedia Shop

James Alexander jalexander at wikimedia.org
Mon Jan 14 10:46:21 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 2:34 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo) <nemowiki at gmail.com>wrote:

> James Alexander, 14/01/2013 10:44:
>
>  The test planned for tomorrow (for Anonymous users in North America,
>> without a discount) is mostly to see the potential for this to fund the
>> Giveaway program we've been running (
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/**Wikipedia:Merchandise_**giveaways<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Merchandise_giveaways>) that is a
>> run away success.
>>

> Do I understand correctly that you meant to target the notice to USA users
> only? That's a good idea, probably, given the unaddressed complaints on
> undelivered items abroad <https://meta.wikimedia.org/**
> wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_**merchandise#USPS_Priority_**Mail_Int.27l_reliability<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_merchandise#USPS_Priority_Mail_Int.27l_reliability>>;
> but I did see it this morning, so perhaps something went wrong.
>
> Nemo

The survey today is worldwide but the one for tomorrow is supposed to be
North America in general (we've found that shipping to Canada and Mexico is
much better overall). That said however thank you for showing me that link,
somehow I didn't get my normal notification and missed it.

I responded on wiki as well now but you should know that we were seeing the
same problems. To be honest I was taken by surprise at how bad USPS
Priority was internationally despite their promises to the contrary.
Because of that we took it away as an option for International users
completely and no longer use it for our flat rate shipping either (which we
subsidize so that no one has to pay too much). Currently all international
packages are going to be sent FedEx which we've used as a foundation for a
very long timer with success.

FYI: It's about 3am here so I'm going to be heading to bed but will
obviously be able to answer more questions in the morning if there are any.

James