[Wikimedia-l] Portuguese Wikipedia at the mercy of a few rogue editors

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Sat Jan 12 15:46:57 UTC 2013

On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 17:37:56 +0200, Rui Correia wrote:
> Dear Colleagues
>
> Let me start off by pointing out the fact that I am never sure about
> exactly what issues are handled on this list and secondly when are
> the
> issues of a specific language Wikipedia handled among that community
> and
> when are they (these issues) - if ever - handled at a higher level
> (Wikipedia top level).
>
> Best regards,
>
> Rui

Indeed, among the top-10 Wikipedias the Portuguese and the Russian ones
have the reputation of the projects where users are more preoccupied
with fighting each other and proving points (in the sense of
[[:en:WP:POINT]]) that with creating encyclopedia.

On the other hand, nothing ever will be done about it outside these
projects. I do not see WMF ever stepping down, under any circumstances.
One can open RFC on Meta, which has 100% chance of leading nowhere. Even
admins of minor projects, with a long history of abuse, in practice
always never get desysopped.

Therefore, I am sorry to say, if you can not defend your cause inside
the project, forget about it.

(This does not mean I agree with you that you cause is the right one;
in fact I have no opinion).

Cheers
Yaroslav