[Wikimedia-l] telenor and serbia, india, ... experiences after one year?

Kul Wadhwa kwadhwa at wikimedia.org
Wed Jan 9 09:05:05 UTC 2013

Hi Rupert,

With regards to the Telenor territories, last year we have launched in
Malaysia, Montenegro & Thailand:

https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Mobile_partnerships#Where_is_Wikipedia_free_to_access.3F

In the December WMF monthly metrics meeting I reported we've seen the
following growth in Unique Users in Malaysia and Montenegro: a 39% unique
user growth rate in Malaysia over the first three months since our launch
(starting from a larger base) and a 96% unique user growth rate in two
months in Montenegro. (Thailand launched later so we're still putting that
data together). Therefore it appears that our program is getting new people
access to Wikipedia. In regards to reporting, the main issue we've had is
that Telenor customers get zero-rated access to Wikipedia primarily through
the Opera Mini browser and we had problems getting accurate data on overall
PV growth because Opera uses a proxy which makes it difficult to determine
the originating partner. However, we've been working with our analytics
team and have finally solved this problem just a few days ago. We should be
able to have better info within the next couple months.

At this moment we have better data on our Africa launches. In general we're
seen steady month-over-month growth in PV's from zero-rated access. One of
my team members, Amit Kapoor, wrote a blog post about it which you can find
here:

http://blog.wikimedia.org/2012/10/29/wikipedia-zero-grows-readership-in-africa-and-asia/

We need to improve our reporting so the analytics team @ WMF is making
mobile analytics (and partner reporting) to be the main priority over the
next couple months. We plan to have have more detailed reports of all our
mobile deployments very soon and we'll put that in a place that easily
accessible. Also, we plan to have several case studies of our findings
available over the next few months as well, which will include both
quantitative and qualitative info and will reveal our other learnings.

In regards to Serbia and India...we had a few difficulties launching them
earlier but they should be coming online soon. And we plan to have several
other big launches to announce within the next few weeks. Stay tuned.

oh...and Happy New Year too!

--Kul

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 9:56 PM, rupert THURNER <rupert.thurner at gmail.com>wrote:

> hi,
>
> as the telenor cooperation now runs nearly for one year, are there
> already any experiences out of it? is it a reality meanwhile, how many
> users benefitted from the offer, are there any other learnings?
>
> here for example serbia, and india are not listed:
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Mobile_Partnerships_Q_and_A
>
> best regards, and a late happy new year,
>
> rupert.

Kul Wadhwa
Head of Mobile
Wikimedia Foundation