[Wikimedia-l] Editor retention (was Re: "Big data" benefits and limitations (relevance: WMF editor engagement, fundraising, and HR practices))

Kim Bruning kim at bruning.xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 9 00:23:15 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 04:13:20PM -0800, George Herbert wrote:

> > Note: Adds a threshold, thus negatively influences editor retention.

> But we need to understand what's wrong with the current way of doing things as
> part of the discussion.

Consider a famous example in Japan: Several Japanese onsens had problems with
Russian Sailors, so in the end they instituded a "no foreigners allowed" policy.
This solved the probnlem nicely.

I've also heard a story about a lan party in texas, where they had had repeated
issues with people hurling slurs at girl gamers etc. so in the end they simply
banned all female participants.

The correct solution to newbies being chased off is not "ban them upfront". The
correct solution is to deal with those chasing off the newbies ;-)

sincerely,
	Kim