[Wikimedia-l] Editor retention (was Re: "Big data" benefits and limitations (relevance: WMF editor engagement, fundraising, and HR practices))

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Fri Jan 4 14:22:59 UTC 2013

In practice oligarchy is crude dim wits in charge. Examples are legion.

That a carefully selected elite can do things well is not at issue. But
an "elected" oligarchy is not that.

We have defined and used consensus but have mixed results. Making needed
policy changes is an extremely difficult exercise in practical politics.
And application of "consensus" to content of an article with a couple of
editors with an interest to advance is nearly hopeless. We probably need
to get a lot better at it than we are if we are going to use it.

Fred