[Wikimedia-l] Info: Election for WCA Chairperson

Markus Glaser markus.glaser at wikimedia.de
Mon Feb 25 15:56:42 UTC 2013

Am 25.02.2013 16:45, schrieb Katherine Casey:
> Seconding BĂ©ria here - by common sense, a group called the "Wikimedia
> Chapters Association" would represent the Wikimedia chapters. If it only
> exists to represent "Wikimedia chapters that sign on to ideas X and Y, and
> pledge Z, and attend meeting Q", then the name ought to be more
> representative of that - "Biggest Wikimedia Chapters Association", or
> "Wikimedia Europe", or "Wikimedia Chapter Politics Interest Group"...
>
> -Fluffernutter

Quote from http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WCA_Charter:

Art. 1 [Purpose]: The purpose of the Association is

 1. To further and represent the common interests of the Chapters within
    the Wikimedia movement;
 2. To set, review, and enforce standards of accountability and
    participation among its members;
 3. To facilitate the exchange of experiences, ideas, and knowledge
    within the Wikimedia movement;
 4. To assist and support Chapters in their organizational development;
 5. To develop common programs and projects;
 6. and to serve as an umbrella organization for the Chapters in all
    other aspects not mentioned before.

Art. 2 [Values]: The Association values openness, transparency, and
honesty about its mission, goals, policies, activities, governance,
structure, funding and finances.

End of quote

I'd be happy to have a constructive discussion about this. Which of the
values mentioned in the WCA Charter (which we currently require to be
signed for membership) would be so scary that they keep a chapter  from
joining in? Is there something missing? Please let me assure you that
the WCA wants to be most inclusive and at best representing *all*
chapters. So the question is, what keeps chapters away?

Best,
Markus

--
Markus Glaser