[Wikimedia-l] Big Fat Brussels Gathering

Mathieu Stumpf psychoslave at culture-libre.org
Wed Feb 20 17:14:27 UTC 2013

Le 2013-02-20 14:11, Christophe Henner a écrit :
> I'm sorry but Ii tend to disagree to some extent.

There's really nothing to be sorry about here, I gave my point of view,
you share yours, and we may end up both grown by conversation we build
together.

> We're non-political in the sense we don't pick side. We don't support
> one or the other party. But that doesn't mean we must not get
> involved
> regarding legislation that could tamper with our ability to achieve
> our goals.

Just because it's not linked with an established party agenda, it
doesn't mean it's not politic. Politic is about people governance, and
aiming at providing knowledge to people is a political act.

> Quick exemple, in France there's no Freedom of Panorama, Wikimedia
> France is working on that. Explaining to representatives what it is
> and why we should have it. This is lobbying, but it's non partisan
> (I'm not sure that's correct in english, hope it's understandable).

To my mind, it is politic. We want this freedom, we try to obtain them
through legal means.

> All of this, if we want to protect the projects, needs our attention.
> Such group is needed. But, and on that I agree with you, that group
> must be totally non-partisan.

The only party we could pretend to represent here is the "free/libre
culture", which is virtual, and clearly something you can attach
accurate position on many other important political topics.

> As said earlier, the EU agenda is so dense, diversed and complicated
> that it needs a lot of sustained work hence, imo, it needs to include
> paid employee and if possible people with experience or at least the
> political "fiber".
>
> Sorry for the long email ^_^

I doubt it's longer than the average mail I see on this list. Once
again, don't be sorry to expose your point of view, we should always be
proud to freely exprime ourself, even if we can be completly wrong, it's
important that we use this freedoom.