[Wikimedia-l] Looking back at the London Conference

Ziko van Dijk vandijk at wmnederland.nl
Tue Feb 19 22:13:27 UTC 2013

Hello,
Just to keep in mind: it has been no secret, from the beginning, that the
WCA planned to hire somebody. The WMF board is supported by employees too,
and I guess that the WMF has a number of regulations. Enough room for views
to evolve.
But it sounds good to focus on getting things started instead of focusing
on process, structure etc. - I will remember that when the WMF asks again
report after report from the chapters' volunteers...
Ziko

2013/2/19 Jan-Bart de Vreede <jdevreede at wikimedia.org>:
> Hey
>
> So just to add my perspective on the mail below (as one of the two board
members that were present).

> As mentioned before the board has several big issues with the WCA where
it was going (as outlined on the meta discussion page and our statement:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Chapters_Association#WMF_Board_letter_regarding_the_Chapters_Association
)

> We felt that our statement was needed at the time, and some good debate
has taken place. If we were inconsistent in our behaviour (in the eyes of
Ziko) this was simply because things increasingly seemed to be going the
wrong way and views evolve over time.

> The discussion we had was a very useful one, and you can read a pretty
accurate transcript at: http://etherpad.wikimedia.org/WCA/ (and I see that
minutes are being worked on as I type this, so a formal report is likely to
be announced here soon I guess)

> The main focus that I tried to bring across is that the people working on
the Chapter Association stop focusing on process, structure, incorporation,
hiring and strategy but rather focus on getting things started and trying
to develop things that work and can grow. Rather than focus on membership
and voting, focus on getting an exchange of knowledge, experience and
skills between all the chapters (members or not).

> And though it might not come across right now without seeing the results,
 I feel that the weekend was very useful. There was a lot of energy in the
room and a willingness to re-assess where the CA is, and where it needs to
go (thank you for that everyone, and thank you to Fae for helping create
this open environment). Public discussion on meta, along with open exchange
and notes are a good start, and I am sure that a lot of things will be
happening the next months. Hopefully this will grow into the potential that
chapter cooperation has always had.