[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Watchlists are coming to mobile

Jon Robson jdlrobson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 22:52:20 UTC 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jon Robson <jdlrobson at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Subject: Watchlists are coming to mobile
<wikimedia-l at lists.wikimedia.org>

After a few months of development the mobile team is launching
watchlists to the mobile site tomorrow. The feature to start with will
give a simplified recent changes view a la the desktop site as well as
a reading list view for users who are simply interested in keeping
track of articles they are interested in reading.

This change also brings in login and account creation functionality to
all Wiki* projects.

This from my perspective is one of the most exciting mobile
developments so far as it makes the watchlist star a much more
prominent figure in the user interface and will hopefully encourage
new users to create accounts to use it, many of whom may be unaware
that Wikipedia can be edited. The hope is these new users will find
the feature useful and can be lured into the realm of becoming a
contributor to our projects via mobile.

Provided we don't run into any issues during deployment this should be
deployed tomorrow.

Please feel free to comment on this mail but if you experience any
bugs in the aftermath please raise them here:
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=MediaWiki%20extensions&component=MobileFrontend

You can also try out the new feature a little early by opting into the
beta here:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:MobileOptions

Looking forward to all your feedback.

Screenshot: