[Wikimedia-l] "Voice Intro Project"

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 15:03:49 UTC 2013

Andy Mabbett, 08/02/2013 14:57:
> I'd like to ask your support the project I started:
>
>     <http://pigsonthewing.org.uk/open-licensed-format-recordings-voices-wikipedia-wikimedia-commons/>
>
> asking the subjects of Wikipedia articles to record a 10-second sample
> of their speaking voice, for use on those articles.
>
> An example script is "Hello, my name is [name]. I was born in [place]
> and I have been [job or position] since [year]".
>
> So far, the participants:
>
>     <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Voice_intro_project>
>
> include Sue Black, Cory Doctorow, Bill Thompson and Dave Winer; and
> we've just had our first recording in French - but we need many more.
>
> Do you know anyone who has an article about them? Do you know of tools
> that would simplify the process of making ogg files, open licensing
> them, and uploading them to Commons? How can we include more speakers
> of other languages?

I think we really need such a tool, for instance it's a shame that
Wiktionary doesn't have pronounciation recordings on most of its entries.
Of course it's better if the speaker is authoritative (like the subject
in person for a biography or a professional for Wiktionary), but tools
would help everyone.

Nemo