[Wikimedia-l] Call for OTRS volunteers

Casey Brown lists at caseybrown.org
Sat Feb 2 19:00:52 UTC 2013

The Wikimedia OTRS team[1] is receiving an increasing number of
emails, with almost 55,000 general information and permissions tickets
responded to in 2012 alone.[2] We are greatly in need of more
volunteers to catch up and help prevent continued backlog. OTRS
volunteers have the benefit of choosing how much time they'd like to
commit and share a wide variety of tools to help when responding to
inquires. Your private information would not be exposed to the public;
replies are issued from a shared Wikimedia email address.

We are looking especially for people who are strong in any or all of
the following areas:

* Familiar with processes on any Wikimedia project and able to answer
routine questions about them (some common responses include reference
desk referrals; explanations of deletion processes or how to edit. The
kind of thing you might run into at the Teahouse or Help desks);

* Familiar with acceptable licenses for images and text and willing to
handle correspondence related to permissions (many routine, but some
issues include unclear statements of permission or permissions issued
by people who can't be clearly connected to the source);

* Familiar with policies regarding living people and organizations and
able to assist article subjects with lightweight needs (updating
logos, correcting small information) or serious concerns (allegations
of gross inaccuracy; bias).

For more information about volunteering, please see the recruiting
page[3] on Meta.  Being a member of the OTRS team is a great chance to
be part of the public face of Wikimedia. We can't always help people,
but we do our best to leave them impressed with our professionalism
and responsiveness. If this sounds like something you'd be interested
in, we encourage you to consider applying[4].

While the English queues are the busiest, the info queues for all
languages could use help, and we are always looking for new
volunteers. Please translate this message and pass the word along to
those in your local communities who may wish to apply.

We look forward to seeing your applications on Meta-Wiki. If you have
any questions, please feel free to contact myself or any other
administrator of the system.[5]

For the OTRS admins,
Casey Brown

[1]https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/OTRS