[Wikimedia-l] Dells are backdored

Jasper Deng jasper at jasperswebsite.com
Mon Dec 30 06:17:04 UTC 2013

"It's not like we have anything special (or x86-specific, Jasper!)
other than very high bandwidth."

Wikimedia Labs uses x86 hardware virtualization (just one example). We
already have transit linkages that include fiber, and new fiber is far from
cheap.

You persist in ignoring the costs of buying equipment. In terms of orders
of magnitude, ~500 servers * $200 per server = $100,000 already. That is a
conservative $200/server estimate that also doesn't take into account labor
and other costs. To the level we'd want it, it's at least one more order of
magnitude more expensive (no, we're not going to recover the costs by
selling our existing servers).