[Wikimedia-l] Dells are backdored

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Sun Dec 29 19:10:45 UTC 2013

On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 4:55 AM, James Salsman <jsalsman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can we please stop paying the Microsoft and NSA taxes and start buying
> datacenter equipment which costs a lot less? Cubieboard/Cubietrucks for
> instance?
>
> Ref.:
>
> http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/catalog-reveals-nsa-has-back-doors-for-numerous-devices-a-940994.html

Cubie are not credible enterprise-grade hardware; having made the
suggestion indicates you don't understand what large server farm design and
operations are all about.

One can see signs of a movement towards enterprise-grade lower power CPU
systems such as Atom, ARM, and Via chip mini-servers.  It's not there yet.
 Both hardware and OS issues with the ARMs, and hardware with the others.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com