[Wikimedia-l] Let's accept Bitcoin as a donation method

Jake Orlowitz jorlowitz at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 20:31:31 UTC 2013

I can think of a few reasons why we should accept bitcoin:

* It's consistent with our leadership in internet technology
* Our peers like EFF, and Internet archive accept it
* It's secured using the same kinds of encryption we rely on to maintain
user privacy
* It permits donations from countries that do not have Visa/Mastercard
services
* It has a fanatically loyal and growing following that is dying to give us
money in that currency

Most imporantly, current technology would permit us to accept bitcoin
without ever *holding* bitcoin.
Companies like BitPay ( https://bitpay.com/) and CoinBase (
https://coinbase.com/) are little different than accepting Visa,
Mastercard, or Paypal.  It's now possible for funds received as bitcoins to
be *immediately* converted to USD.

I don't think we should 'make a statement' by accepting bitcoin, I think
the currency is simply at the stage where it would be to our benefit to do
so.

Jake (Ocaasi)