[Wikimedia-l] Let's accept Bitcoin as a donation method

Tomasz W. Kozlowski tomasz at twkozlowski.net
Tue Dec 10 19:58:39 UTC 2013

Hi!
I'm sure that the WMF fundraising people are all aware of this, but this
isn't exactly a well-known issue, so please excuse this short introduction.

For a few months now, there has been quite a strong push from the
Bitcoin community to accept that currency as a donation method; the
issue has been gaining more and more significance ever since the start
of this years' fundraising campaign.

As far as I am aware, the only response so far from the Foundation is
that they do not accept any currencies that are not backed by "by the
full faith and credit of an issuing government." [1]

I'm sure those reading this list can Google the topic themselves, so I
won't link to the many angry discussion that are taking place on the
interwebs right now; instead, I'll ask this: does the Foundation intend
to accept Bitcoin as a donation method any time soon? Does the
Foundation realize that the payment processing company Bitpay has kindly
set up a merchant account that is transferring money to the WMF every
day? [2]

Can you let us know the reasons behind the decision of not accepting
Bitcoin other than those mentioned on the FAQ page I linked? I'm not in
any way related to the Bitcoin movement, but I'm sure that many people
would appreciate hearing more about this.

I should also perhaps mention for those interested in donating in
Bitcoin that Wikimedia New York City, the chapter for NYC, does accept
Bitcoins: <https://nyc.wikimedia.org/wiki/Donate>.

Maybe there are other chapters or affiliates that allow this method of
donating?

           Tomasz