[Wikimedia-l] Where to redirect m.wikipedia.org?

Yuri Astrakhan yastrakhan at wikimedia.org
Fri Dec 6 04:39:14 UTC 2013

http://m.wikipedia.org used to be a hard-coded redirect to English
en.m.wikipedia.org, except for the users in the Zero program. We now have
an ability to have complex redirection for that domain. How do you think
m.wikipedia.org should behave?

We could redirect m. to ...
* the current www.wikipedia.org, which seems to work pretty well on the
smaller device screens
* send users to the main page of the user's default language - based on the
browser settings (Accept-Language header) - and later possibly even based
on user's own language prefernces
* ...

Obviously it should be similar for other projects like wikinews, etc.

I am not a big fan of building a full blown page at the m. URL, as that
would involve much more work without a clear benefit - there are already
www and main pages available, why build another one.

Thanks!
--Yuri