[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia and the politics of encryption

Emmanuel Engelhart kelson at kiwix.org
Sat Aug 31 06:07:09 UTC 2013

Le 31/08/2013 07:17, Erik Moeller a écrit :
> We can, of course, ask users in the affected countries. Given that
> this may lead to degradation or loss of access, users are likely to be
> opposed, and indeed, when plans to expand HTTPS usage were announced,
> a group of Chinese Wikipedians published an open letter asking for
> exemptions to be implemented:
>
> https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:%E5%BC%BA%E5%88%B6%E5%8A%A0%E5%AF%86%E7%99%BB%E5%BD%95/openletter
>
> This was a big part of what drove the decision to implement exemptions.

This attitude seems to be, on a first look, the most logical and
respectful one.

But, I want to be remember, that the risk perception is often not
proportional *at all* to the risk itself. In daily life, many risks are
suppressed because the imagination of a constant threat would paralyse
all activities. So, this feedback from the Chinese community should be
handled carefully.

I tend myself to think that deploying HTTPS everywhere and force its
usage is the best long term approach.

However, this is without any doubt, a difficult dilemma.

Emmanuel
--
Kiwix - Wikipedia Offline & more
* Web: http://www.kiwix.org