[Wikimedia-l] [Wikitech-l] HTTPS for logged in users on Wednesday August 21st

Pierre-Selim pierre-selim at huard.info
Wed Aug 21 05:39:03 UTC 2013

Just a question: Why imposing HTTPS ? Really, it will be damaging ...
"Wikipedia the encyclopedia that anyone (which has HTTPS) can edit (as
logged user)".
Sorry, HTTPS is nice, but I see no reason to force people using it, it
might be slow in certain country, it might be filtered, etc.

Thank you for all the time you spent on this feature, however I'm not
convinced at all.

2013/8/21 Ryan Lane <rlane at wikimedia.org>

> On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 4:38 AM, Brion Vibber <bvibber at wikimedia.org>
> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 1:33 PM, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi, context please?
> > >

> > Continuation of this thread from wikitech-l:
> >

> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2013-August/thread.html#71285
> >

> > tl;dr summary:
> > * ops plans to switch logins to HTTPS
> > * switching all logins to HTTPS is known to break access for logged-in
> > users in countries where Wikimedia's HTTPS servers are blocked by
> > government censorship
> > * there are some plans to mitigate this by excluding some languages from
> > the requirement
> > * this is controversial for several reasons, one of which is that it will
> > break access for users in those countries on language projects that are
> not
> > excepted (eg English Wikipedia in mainland China)
> >

> The last point isn't accurate. The original plan was to exempt certain
> languages from the login redirection, and those projects would be "home"
> wikis. When someone logged-in there, they'd also be logged-in everywhere
> else via central auth. The current plan is to disable the HTTPS redirect
> using geolocation for countries that have a > 5% error rate for HTTPS
> requests.
>
> This discussion is technical, so I'm going to move back to wikitech-l, now.
>
> - Ryan

Pierre-Selim