[Wikimedia-l] [Wikitech-l] HTTPS for logged in users on Wednesday August 21st

George William Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 20:31:07 UTC 2013

+foundation-l

On Aug 20, 2013, at 1:20 PM, Brion Vibber <bvibber at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> This is an acceptable trade-off which we've allowed the Chinese government
> to make for us before, and here we're talking about a much smaller effect
> (on contributors only).
>
> Again, it's not our business to fix China. China has to fix China.

None of which changes that this is not properly an ops team decision, particularly without notification, warning, workaround explained to people.

If the explanation as to the effects on users in those locales is correct, I would like the Ops team to voluntarily stand back and notify and allow some wider discussion and explanation of the workaround.

If Ops won't do that, then I would like to request that the WMF executive intervene and direct ops to pause and allow wider notification and discussion and explanation of the workaround.

If the WMF executive is not willing I would like to request that the Board review the situation promptly and direct a pause per above.

The outcome is not wrong.  THIS IS THE WRONG WAY TO DO IT, without warning and explanation to the community.

Sent from Kangphone