[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: [Wikimania-l] git.wikimedia.org dead due to wikimania ; )

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 11:43:54 UTC 2013

Chris McKenna, 14/08/2013 00:00:
> On Tue, 13 Aug 2013, Oliver Keyes wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to think Engineering do a pretty good job at uptime for core
>> services - when was the last time you saw Wikipedia down for any extended
>> period of time? - regardless of what day of the week it is.
>
> Wikipedia uptime is certianly much better these days than it was around
> 2005/6 when there were at least two websites dedicated to reporting its
> status. Back then it wasn't uncommon to experience major slowdowns,
> periods of non-responsiveness, extended read only periods and edits
> failing (sometimes silently) due to (iirc) overloaded servers. I can't
> remember the last time I saw anything like that, but it certainly wasn't
> 2013.

Btw it would be nice to have stats on uptime, or at least some
assessment of the progress for the "stabilizing infrastructure" 5 years
strategic goal. I couldn't find any recently, I asked both on mailing
lists and on Meta.
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_budget#Stabilizing_the_infrastructure>

Nemo