[Wikimedia-l] Proposal - Training for Wikimedia movement boards

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 13:47:42 UTC 2013

On 13 August 2013 13:57, Chris Keating <chriskeatingwiki at gmail.com> wrote:

> At Wikimania there was (not for the first time) discussion that not much
> support and advice there is available to Chapter board members. On Sunday
> afternoon a small group of us (myself, Markus Glaser, Michał Buczyński,
> Claudia Garad) met to work out how we could actually provide some training
> to help improve this situation.
> I am pleased to say we have a definite proposal for a 2-day workshop to be
> organised in the early part of 2014:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Boards_training_workshop_proposal

Excellent and well done!

It's pretty much standard in small charities that board members start
off as enthusiasts on the topic, but who have *no idea* how to be a
board member of a nonprofit. (Been there, done that, beg off all
opportunities these days.) This is not good. Training people for the
role is a *marvellous* idea.

- d.