[Wikimedia-l] [Wikidata-l] Meeting about the support of Wiktionary in Wikidata

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 18:57:57 UTC 2013

Hello,

> On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 6:13 PM, JP BĂ©land <lebo.beland at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I agree. We also need to include the Omegawiki community.

Agreed.

On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 12:22 PM, Laura Hale <laura at fanhistory.com> wrote:
> Why? The question of moving them into the WMF fold was pretty much no,
> because the project has an overlapping purpose with Wiktionary,

This is not actually the case.
There was overwhelming community support for adopting Omegawiki - at
least simply providing hosting.  It stalled because the code needed a
security and style review, and Kip (the lead developer) was going to
put some time into that.  The OW editors and dev were very interested
in finding a way forward that involved Wikidata and led to a combined
project with a single repository of terms, meanings, definitions and
translations.

Recap: The page describing the OmegaWiki project satisfies all of the
criteria for requesting WMF adoption.
* It is well-defined on Meta http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Omegawiki
* It describes an interesting idea clearly aligned with expanding the
scope of free knowledge
* It is not a 'competing' project to Wiktionaries; it is an idea that
grew out of the Wiktionary community, has been developed for years
alongside it, and shares many active contributors and linguiaphiles.
* It started an RfC which garnered 85% support for adoption.
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Adopt_OmegaWiki

Even if the current OW code is not used at all for a future Wiktionary
update -- and this idea was proposed and taken seriously by the OW
devs -- their community of contributors should be part of discussions
about how to solve the Wiktionary problem that they were the first to
dedicate themselves to.

Regards,
Sam.