[Wikimedia-l] Visual Editor "temporary" opt-out

Peter Southwood peter.southwood at telkomsa.net
Tue Aug 6 20:05:16 UTC 2013

To me it looks like a fairly small number of editors are making a fairly
large amount of noise, A very small number making a disproportionately large
amount, and a much larger number, probably the majority, have not even
bothered to comment at all. I also have not analysed the numbers, but to me
it looks like the numbers who have made one liner comments that they approve
is probably the same order of magnitude as the number who protest
incessantly. This is Wikipedia, there are always a small number who make a
lot of noise. After a while fewer people take them seriously. I start to get
the impression that there are now some people who have invested so much
effort into making a big deal of this that they now feel obliged to make an
even bigger deal so they can feel justified in doing so.  Maybe I'm wrong,
maybe the numbers do indicate a wdespread and deep seated sense of
alienation. Maybe not. Time will probably tell, and hey, someone who is
prepared to approach the analysis scientifcally may get a dissertation out
of it. Stranger things have happened.. I also think the approach was flawed,
but I appreciate the reasons and I am prepared to assume good faith.
Cheers,
Peter