[Wikimedia-l] Why the WP will never be a real encyclopaedia

Asaf Bartov abartov at wikimedia.org
Thu Aug 1 21:10:28 UTC 2013

Your disqualification of Wikipedia from being called an encyclopedia is, of
course, equally (indeed, more) applicable to _all other encyclopedias,
ever_.  It is therefore incumbent on your to either agree that there has
never been "an encyclopedia" yet, or that your bar for what constitutes an
encyclopedia is not a useful one.

We all agree the Khoi, and African topics in general (but also Vietnamese,
and Guatemalan, and Albanian, and...[1]) are underrepresented in the
volunteer-built encyclopedia we all cherish.

What _would_ be useful are realistic ideas about how to address this
underrepresentation.

   A.

[1] Two years ago, I spent 5-minutes preparing a presentation that makes
this point when someone suggested that the English Wikipedia is... kinda
done?  It's at http://prezi.com/szjdvdbtl0j_/is-wikipedia-done/