[Wikimedia-l] Lack of community involvement in WMF budget planning

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 22:41:24 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 5:47 PM, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 2:06 PM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It's good to see so much interest in this thread.
>>
>> The purpose of transparency is not feedback.  It is valuable in its own
>> right. It reduces surprise and supports planning discussions elsewhere
>> in the movement.
>
> I do agree with this. (Though transparency in this area might come more
> naturally if it was easier to work on a spreadsheet in a wiki!)

(True!)

> But, this thread was started with the specific idea of increasing community
> input into the budgeting process, so the question I was trying to answer
> is: how can that be made most effective?

Indeed, the thread has gotten a bit off of the original subject.

To that question: I agree that the most effective way to influence
budget planning is through updating our strategy, which guides future
annual plans for the WMF, as well as future grant-making guidelines.

This is something we should revisit continuously, drawing on new ideas
and what we have learned, rather than every 4-5 years.

SJ