[Wikimedia-l] (semi-OT) Open access "catastrophic" for Elsevier

Andrea Zanni zanni.andrea84 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 07:39:45 UTC 2012

There are also other kinds of business models:
http://scoap3.org/

The topic is complex, I know
and Open Access is about a shift of an entire system,
is not about Elsevier (which is important but (just) a main actor in a big
play).

Peer review is crucial, of course,
but I wonder who is being paid:
afaik, reviewers are almost never paid for their work (I understaind that
organizing it must be diffuclt and expensive).

Moreover, I think it is is fairly easy to see that there is something wrong
when a system
make the citizen pay 2 times for research (first time paying academics to
do research, second paying journals through libraries to read that
research).
And when academics are the producers, the reviewers and the customers of
the company itself.
Thus, there *must* be a more clever system for research publishing :-)

Aubrey