[Wikimedia-l] Russian Wikipedia goes on strike

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Thu Sep 20 03:56:59 UTC 2012

> Well, the new law is now being considered for application to block
> YouTube in Russia. Make of that, what you will.
>
> http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19648808

> Jussi-Ville Heiskanen, ~ [[User:Cimon Avaro]]

I have never understood anyone who thinks that showing contempt for the
Prophet was a smart thing to do. Only great evil comes from it. Not great
spiritual trouble or lightning bolts from God; I'm not superstitious, but
simply a dirty mess that results in a great deal of damage to innocent
people. That Muslims should "grow up" is a given, but so should everyone
else. It is simply not possible for Russia to permit showing of such
material nor for India, or possibly even France; it's inflammatory.

Not publishing pictures of the Prophet and being reasonably respectful
toward him is pretty much the first lesson anyone who hopes to have a
decent relationship with Muslims is taught. Going out of your way to heap
contempt on him is just stupid; unless making trouble is your purpose.

I think any laws should be couched in terms of damaging foreign relations
or inciting to riot. I'm not sure they would be unconstitutional even in
the United States. When the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff is
reduced to begging a fundamentalist preacher in Florida to cool it,
something is out of whack.

Fred