[Wikimedia-l] Paid editing language wide

Florence Devouard anthere9 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 19 17:08:47 UTC 2012

Hello

Is there a place (I looked on meta and saw nothing) where the situation
with regards to paid editing or more generally the practices toward
declaration of conflict of interest in all linguistic versions of
Wikipedia summarized ?

For example, I more or less know that the English version requires the
user to not create an account with the name of his company; requires to
basically mention when there is a potential COI; and ask preferably to
edit talk pages rather than directly.

I more or less know that the French version does not seem to care if
accounts feature a company name (or rather a derivative version of the
company name); that indicating a potential COI is better; but that
directly editing the wikipedia page is fine.

I have no idea how other languages deal with this.

I was interviewed today by a "journalist" from a historian publication
and she asked me what was the status of this for a couple of other
languages, in particular Spanish and Italian (I guess she knew these
languages, which I do not). I realized I had no idea

If there is a Spanish and/or an Italian person around, I would be happy
to know.

But more generally, would not it be interesting to gather somewhere (uh,
meta) the current practices with regards to COIs ?

Florence