[Wikimedia-l] the hidden toolbox

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Wed Sep 19 16:50:00 UTC 2012

NSince sending that last email, I've been thinking about why the toolboxes
are effectively hidden. (I don't disagree they are - to a new user, having
a link in a collapsed toolbox is functionally equivalent to it not existing)

One possible problem is that the collapsed toolbox has, visibly, very few
cues to distinguish it from a link. There's the triangle, but that can
easily be mistaken for a pretty bulletpoint. If we changed it to (eg) Page
tools menu / Print/export menu / Languages menu... would that be more of a
cue? No easy way of telling how people use it without looking over their
shoulders, though.

- Andrew.