[Wikimedia-l] CNET News: "Corruption in Wikiland? Paid PR scandal erupts at Wikipedia"

David Richfield davidrichfield at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 11:24:38 UTC 2012

> Look, David, if a dozen towns express an interest in his services, and
> offer him a consultancy fee, and he decides he will work with Gibraltar,
> then Gibraltar go forward and he pockets their fee. The others remain in
> the queue. Nobody *made* him take Gibraltar, did they?

I don't think it's quite as simple as a town "remaining in the queue":
it's an open system, and he's not some kind of gatekeeper.  Any town
that wants to become a wiki town can "jump the queue" by doing it
themselves.  There are plenty of Wikimedians who would be happy to
work with a town that wants to do something like this.

--
David Richfield
[[:en:User:Slashme]]