[Wikimedia-l] commons promotion

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 10:12:49 UTC 2012

Andrew Gray, 19/09/2012 10:35:
> Yes, this is definitely an issue. My recollection was that the "unwanted
> content" issue was seen as secondary to the debates about placement, but
> it's many years ago ;-)
>
> Agree entirely on testing and having a sense of the cost-benefit ratio. One
> feature of the old system was that it predominantly went on BLPs - which
> are a magnet for easy "looks free" content like publicity photos.  I wonder
> if the proportion of acceptable material would be higher if, eg, we
> trialled placeholders on towns and villages with no photos, or buildings?

It's already somehow happening for Wiki Loves Monuments USA, if I
remember correctly (although technically they're _absolutely not_ image
placeholders).
The UploadWizard is designed to educate users about copyright issues: I
don't know if someone measured the percentage of copyvios and related
errors compared to normal uplod, but it might be a solution.

Nemo