[Wikimedia-l] CNET News: "Corruption in Wikiland? Paid PR scandal erupts at Wikipedia"

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 09:24:53 UTC 2012

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 8:18 AM, Steven Walling <steven.walling at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 11:14 PM, Andreas Kolbe <jayen466 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > In the past, those conversations were short, and ended in a permaban (cf.
> > Jimbo's past statements about blocking anyone offering commercial
> editing,
> > cf. Kohs).
> >
> > Today, the people concerned are chapter trustees and Wikipedians in
> > Residence.
> >
> > I would say things have changed.
> >

> Precisely. Kohs and his ilk never showed any interest in anything but
> themselves, and fully merit permabans. People like Max and Roger may have
> conflicts of interest, but at least they've contributed something that
> doesn't end in them making a buck. That's how they got in positions like
> chapter trustee and Wikipedian in Residence.
>
> Which is not to say that the situation is ideal, nor that Sarah and others
> are wrong to be nervous. If someone with a COI did something that was
> inappropriate, I think it can and should be dealt with strictly and quickly
> by the community, like always. But comments like the one you just made,
> which are obviously designed to stir up some kind of moral panic, don't do
> us any good.
>
> Steven

Steven,

We know people have been beating a door to Roger's path ever since
Monmouthpedia; there have been enquiries from all over the world from towns
wanting to be the next Monmouth. He gets to decide which town goes forward,
and whichever town goes forward pays him a consultancy fee.

At the same time, the pitch by Roger, Steve Virgin etc. is that a project
like Monmouthpedia greatly benefits the local tourism industry and
businesses, and that the free publicity generated is worth millions of
pounds.

How is it possibly compatible with the Nolan principles* for a Wikimedia UK
director and his private company to profit from such a situation?

I hear the story has hit Slashdot.

Andreas

*
http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Trustee_Code_of_Conduct#Nolan_Committee_Requirements