[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Travel Guide: Board statement

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 20:38:15 UTC 2012

On 7 September 2012 21:25, Michael Peel <michael.peel at wikimedia.org.uk> wrote:
> We encourage attribution of Wikipedia articles as:
>
> "This article uses material from the Wikipedia article "[[Metasyntactic variable]]", which is released under the [http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/ Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0].
>
> i.e. to the project not the authors…
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:REUSE#Example_notice

Which is fine because the notice when you edit a page says:

"You agree that a hyperlink or URL is sufficient attribution under the
Creative Commons license."

So linking to the article is providing attribution "in the manner they specify".

I can't see any similar notice on Wikitravel. I definitely can't see
anything saying you are licensing it with a requirement to attribute
to Wikitravel.