[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Travel Guide: Board statement

emijrp emijrp at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 19:51:51 UTC 2012

2012/9/7 Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>

> On 7 September 2012 20:40, Daniel Zahn <dzahn at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 7:40 AM, Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton
> > <rodrigo.argenton at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> and I'm wondering how they will sue for importing content that is on
> free
> >> license...
> >
> > Well, it's "Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike", so will have to
> > attribute Wikitravel and the original author(s) on every single page.
> >
> > http://wikitravel.org/shared/Copyleft
>
> Why attribute Wikitravel? The license only requires the author to be
> attributed, not the first publisher. Ideally, content will be copied
> across with the page history intact, which will constitute the
> appropriate attribution (in the same way it does on Wikipedia). I
> haven't been following too closely - are there any dumps available? It
> seems unlikely it will be possible to get any now (I doubt IB can be
> compelled to provide one).

WikiTeam did some backups in 2011 but only the last version for every page,
because the server was weak and unable to provide the complete history
http://code.google.com/p/wikiteam/downloads/list?can=2&q=wikitravel

Indeed, they have started to "protect" themselves against the content
export http://wikitravel.org/en/Special:Export