[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Travel Guide: Board statement

Alice Wiegand awiegand at wikimedia.org
Thu Sep 6 13:21:55 UTC 2012

Hi all,

on behalf of the Board of Trustees I'm glad to announce the following
statement about the travel guide RfC
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Travel_Guide :

Through the RfC, it is clear our community has reached consensus in
favor of the creation of a travel guide. The Board supports the
community decision to create a dedicated project for the collection of
free multilingual travel resources. We believe there is an enormous
amount of space for multiple wiki-based projects with travel content
and welcome the contributions of community members from around the
world.
We look forward to having a project that can provide additional
content for other travel sites to reuse and benefit from, which we
believe this site will do.

As a project supported by the Wikimedia Foundation, it will be subject
to the movement vision, mission, and values, as well as the Foundation
Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. However, like all other Wikimedia
projects, the community of contributors is responsible for the
management and creation of the content, policies, rules, and
governance of the new project. The community will be responsible for
organizing the travel guide project, and once they have put all of the
necessary pieces together and provided them to the Foundation staff,
the Wikimedia Foundation will make the necessary technical adjustments
to support the site. We look forward to a new project and appreciate
the community taking the initiative to make this possible.

As we have reported in a blogpost [1], Internet Brands has filed a
lawsuit against community members, and, in response, Wikimedia
Foundation has filed a complaint against Internet Brands [2]. This
lawsuit by Internet Brands is not going to intimidate the Foundation
or stop the process.

[1] http://blog.wikimedia.org/2012/09/05/wikimedia-foundation-seeks-declaratory-relief-in-response-to-legal-threats-from-internet-brands/
[2] https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/File:WMF_complaint_for_declaratory_judgement_September_2012.pdf

Regards, Alice.