[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Wikimedia engineering August 2012 report

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 01:05:41 UTC 2012

Tilman Bayer, 05/09/2012 02:52:
> Rupert raises an interesting point. How many people prefer such
> mailing list announcements of new reports to include a plaintext
> version of the report itself?

Usually I'm very more likely to read something if it's directly in the
email, however long; a link means "oh, more work, must be something
long, of unknown length" (I don't see it), requires one more click, and
finally the click just sends the reading to the queue together with the
other dozens tabs open in the browser.
That said, a good compromise is, I found, to just include the HTML from
the wiki page. HTML emails are horrible (and I usually fail at sending
them) but converting wikitext to a readable email plaintext is horrible too.

Nemo